[Openstreetmap] Re: ecourier.co.uk GPS data mine

Matt Amos matt at matt-amos.uklinux.net
Wed Jun 29 19:33:29 BST 2005

On Wednesday 29 June 2005 14:49, Tom Carden wrote:
> "Petter Reinholdtsen" <pere at hungry.com> wrote:
> > Is that valid with GPX?  I believe gpx2shp is sick when no
> > timestamp is present.
>
> It would also render many of our ideas for automatic feature
> extraction pretty much impossible.

GPX requires that the points be correctly ordered, which should be
good enough for feature extraction. there is a good reason to strip
or alter the timestamps anyway, as they could be used to identify
patterns of movement. its always good to maintain a healthy level of
paranoia, especially when dealing with other people's data ;-)

> I remember hearing about a driving enthusiast who was convicted of
> speeding using his own video tape as evidence - is GPS data
> admissible in the same way?  Hopefully it's accurate enough to
> convict someone if it's accurate enough for mapping!

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/17/peterson.trial/index.html

seems to agree, but i don't think its been ruled upon in this
country...

> Perhaps it would be easier to keep the owner of the GPS trail
> anonymous?  If we don't know, then we can't tell.

this is probably a better idea. the following seems to put us in the
clear (as we're not the employer or owner of any of the vehicles):

http://www.drivesafely.org/faqs/driving_the vehicle.htm

a guess could probably be made if the GPS unit is taking readings at
predictable intervals...

cya,

matt