[Openstreetmap] Re: ecourier.co.uk GPS data mine

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 07:33:00 BST 2005

Tom Carden wrote:

> I remember hearing about a driving enthusiast who was convicted of
> speeding using his own video tape as evidence - is GPS data admissible
> in the same way?  Hopefully it's accurate enough to convict someone if
> it's accurate enough for mapping!

I got stung by a speed camera near Coventry. When I checked the track I
HAD slowed down so could not see their allegation. I got the coordinates
of the camera - which they got wrong :) but it was enough to see that
the camera was in a different place and that I had speeded up then
slowed down just enough to be stung :(
So YES it is accurate enough - but the fact that they can't give you
VALID grid locations is no grounds to appeal ;)
Given that we CAN run tracks, an accurate grid location SHOULD be part
of the ticket, rather than some vaguely worded text!

--
Lester Caine