[Openstreetmap] ontology, money

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sun Mar 20 10:26:18 GMT 2005

> Hi folks
>
> Sorry got distracted by something else, but:
>
> Ontology:
> - I'm personally for higher level human readable ontologies rather than
> bitwise.

A few more thoughts on the bitwise idea: it's not so much for the database
itself, but I'm thinking that, in terms of transferring data between
OpenStreetMap and its clients (websites such as Freemap or other software
such as map editing applications), the size of the XML-RPC message would need
to be as small as possible to minimise bandwidth. My feeling here would be,
rather than have multiple tags in the form

<foot>yes</foot>
<bike>yes</bike>
<horse>yes</horse>
<car>no</car>

the "permissions" on a particular track should be combined via bitwise
operations e.g.

<track>
<perm>1</perm>
<pts>

For the database itself, rather than the bitwise idea the best thing would
probably be (as Matt, I think, suggested) that it would be best storing the
permissions on a track as flags e.g. the relevant table could have fields
"foot" "bike" "horse" or "car" each of which could be either on or off,.

Nick