[Openstreetmap] Fw: Re: satellite/aerial maps for london free map

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Tue Mar 22 18:48:25 GMT 2005

hi lists, i should run this by you now, though not wanting to be
pre-emptive before i talk to Giles properly. In short, proboscis are
looking at going through a free map like process anyway, and buying
photo data anyway, and are interested in collaboration on a London
project. He offers a URL for samples that might be viable for us to
practise autoextraction upon.

----- Forwarded message from Giles Lane <giles at proboscis.org.uk> -----

I'm sure something can be worked out re academic discount -- would be
worth checking to see if there are any further re-use license
restrictions for academic use, if so then best to pay full-whack.
Proboscis won't receive new funding until after 8th April, so I can't
commit to anything before then at the very earliest... I still have to
juggle budgets as well as get a clear idea of how much is involved (I
was thinking of about £1,000).

But as a stop-gap measure, have you seen this image which is presented
by Ikonos as an example of the image quality:
http://www.euspaceimaging.com/content/Downloads/samples/London/
London_(1280x960).jpg
Could you use this as a test for auto-extraction?