[Openstreetmap] Manhattan in OSM

Ben Gimpert ben at somethingmodern.com
Tue May 17 17:37:29 BST 2005

My Fellow OpenStreetMap Groupies,

After a goodly Ruby coding sprint this weekend, I am happy to announce
the importing of a portion of the U.S. TIGER census line data into
OpenStreetMap. Dig:

	http://somethingmodern.com/osm-manhattan.png

Here's a link to Manhattan in the editor:

	http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/applet.jsp?lat=40.7621&lon=
-73.983765&scale=10404.917

Make sure you have a Java friendly browser and an OpenStreetMap login.
And be sure to try zooming out to see the whole island. Street names
and ZIP codes have also been imported, but are not (yet!) visible in
the editor GUI applet. I will look into importing the rest of the U.S.
once we come into more significant hard drive space. It is my hope that
importing public domain street map data will provide a base from which
users can add interesting metadata, like favorite pubs, restaurants and
other points of interest.

Rob McKinnon has also made progress on an SVG-based renderer for the
OpenStreetMap static pages, the view of map segments outside of the
editor. Please drop Steve or me an email if you're interested in
helping us write code.

	Benjamin Gimpert
	ben at somethingmodern.com