[Openstreetmap] Re: Manhattan in OSM

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue May 17 20:46:19 BST 2005

[Ben Gimpert]
> After a goodly Ruby coding sprint this weekend, I am happy to announce
> the importing of a portion of the U.S. TIGER census line data into
> OpenStreetMap. Dig:
>
> 	http://somethingmodern.com/osm-manhattan.png

Cool. :)

If we now could get the landsat images grayed out in the background, I
believe the map would look great. :)

> Make sure you have a Java friendly browser and an OpenStreetMap
> login.  And be sure to try zooming out to see the whole
> island. Street names and ZIP codes have also been imported, but are
> not (yet!) visible in the editor GUI applet.

How did you get those imported?  I didn't know it was possible to add
such info into OSM yet.

> I will look into importing the rest of the U.S.  once we come into
> more significant hard drive space.

What are the current limits?  I've been careful not to import the
complete GPS point data set for Oslo, to avoid overflowing the
database.  Is this a real danger or not?

> It is my hope that importing public domain street map data will
> provide a base from which users can add interesting metadata, like
> favorite pubs, restaurants and other points of interest.

Is it possible to add such metadata at the moment?  I have a few
locations I would like to add, but do not know how to do it. :)

> Rob McKinnon has also made progress on an SVG-based renderer for the
> OpenStreetMap static pages, the view of map segments outside of the
> editor. Please drop Steve or me an email if you're interested in
> helping us write code.

SVG export sounds cool.  But we need to have a simple map image export
as well, to make sure our dependency requirements are low and that as
many people as possible can see the map data.