[Openstreetmap] Re: OSM License and debian

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Sun May 22 19:19:45 BST 2005

* On 22-May-2005 at  4:27AM PDT, frank said:

> so i think we shouldn't target at being included in debian/main,
> but having a licence that covers data, not software

Realistically, we're going to have gigabytes, if not terabytes of data
before we're satisfied. Therefore I think that the idea of
"distributing" OSM data with any OS or OS distro is probably not worth
considering. Many apps that ship with Debian do not ship the data via
APT directly (thinking msttcorefonts, or any Java VM here) but instead
ship an installer that allows the user to decide whether or not to
accept the license of that software or data and obtain the binary data
themselves, thus sidestepping the redistribution issues involved in
"having" our data in Debian APT.

Consequently I don't see that a CC license for data is incompatible
with a GPL license for the code, or that a CC data license would
seriously interfere with people's access to the data in a way that
would make the license (or the licensed data) unusable for our
purposes. People understand CC as applied to content and (to me) it
solves more problems than it creates.

SDE