[Openstreetmap] Re: Re: OSM License and debian

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu May 26 12:05:30 BST 2005

> Would voting be a suitable method of deciding this?
> Which of the above does everyone favour right now?
> Are CC amending their licenses to account for DFSGs opinions, will DFSG
> change their mind?

> Personally, I'd be content with Software/Attribution licensing and would
> choose (a possibly customised) BSD License.

> By customised, I mean could we consider vector form to be our geodata
> 'source code' and rendered bitmaps to be our 'binary form'. IANAL and
> this assumes CC doesn't become DFSG approved.
Hi all, I'm at this: http://www.commons-sense.org/pages/about1.htm right
now, and Lawrence Lessig, founder of creative commons is here.  I met him
and brought up map/mapping data.  He said that CC doesn't believe data can
be copyrighted, but they have ideas on ways to get around that (and I
think maps are an interesting issue, as you could copyright the derived
map, but not the data...).  He also said that CC would be happy to help us
work on licenses, and gave me his card.  So I think a customized CC
license could be quite possible.  If people have some specific questions
for him I may have a chance to talk to him further.

Chris