[Openstreetmap] Re: Re: OSM License and debian

frank f_mohr at yahoo.de
Thu May 26 13:39:30 BST 2005

Chris Holmes wrote:
> Hi all, I'm at this: http://www.commons-sense.org/pages/about1.htm right
> now, and Lawrence Lessig, founder of creative commons is here.  I met him
> and brought up map/mapping data.  He said that CC doesn't believe data can
> be copyrighted, but they have ideas on ways to get around that (and I
> think maps are an interesting issue, as you could copyright the derived
> map, but not the data...).

I forged myself (INAL) through
- http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechte_an_Geoinformationen
   ("rights on geoinformations" on the german wikipedia site)
- the german version of copyright "urheberrecht"
   (http://bundesrecht.juris.de/bundesrecht/urhg/)
- Das neue europäische Urheberrecht - EU-Richtlinie 2001/29/EG
   (the new european copyright)

as far as i understand all of that

- Facts on maps have no copyright
- the compilation of map data is copyrighted as a "database"
- the representation of a map is copyrighted,
- databases have special regulations (like copyright expires
   15 years after publication instead of 70 years)

 > He also said that CC would be happy to help us
> work on licenses, and gave me his card.  So I think a customized CC
> license could be quite possible.  If people have some specific questions
> for him I may have a chance to talk to him further.

sounds good ..
I already thought about contacting CC to ask about a special "data
licence", but didn't find the time yet.

frank