[Openstreetmap] Re: Re: OSM License and debian

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu May 26 16:19:22 BST 2005

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 03:32:04PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> > http://www2.europarl.eu.int/oeil/FindByProcnum.do?lang=2&procnum=COD/2004/0175
> > Please consider writing a short note on the subject of the social and
> > economic value of open geodata, to your Euro MP.
> eeek. one of my euro mp's is a UKIP nutter.

it's entertaining to me that this now appears to be a good thing :)

> got some links on things to say in a letter?

http://okfn.org/wiki/OpenGeoDataLetter contains three big points that
engage directly with the problems in the INSPIRE process, that don't
engage with the 'social good / public good' side of the debate.

http://space.frot.org/docs/inspire_directive.html is a breakdown of
what i thought was wrong with the first published draft (not the
original draft which was 're-scoped'; that's never been in the public
domain.) http://space.frot.org/docs/tcm_eurospatial.html was the long,
more handwaving "geodata can change the world!" version i wrote when i
first heard about INSPIRE and read the state of play docs.
(which are actually a pretty interesting resource for enumerating
niche spatial data agencies in each country in europe)

a lot of the history is played out in the EGIP list archives, if you
want to dig deep - http://egip.jrc.it/ though they seem a little
broken; chris corbin's posts over the last few months have been
tracking the process of amendments, nondisclosure of docs;
http://egip.jrc.it/200505/1342.html is the most recent, all are worth
peeking at. [INSPIRE Democratic Process - Update N], subjects.

it really is almost enough to make one want to go canvassing for UKIP

> have fun,

i'd like to...

zx