[Openstreetmap] the dangers of assumptions

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Nov 10 12:14:53 GMT 2005

I'll throw my 2p in on this:

If you are looking at your own gps track you generally can recall what you
were travelling or mapping at the time. Therefore being able to see your own
track(s) differentiated from others (by a different colour presumably) would
go part of the way to resolving.

If you then have the ability to switch all tracks other than your own off
(or vice versa), then that would help even more.

Finally if you could select a timeframe for tracks (separately for both your
own and others) then you really would be able to play around with what
becomes visible.

Personally I think having access to all the track data is best since when
for instance adding a section of motorway that you only mapped in one
direction but someone mapped last year in the other makes it much easier to
place nodes and create lines and complete the task. If the older data is not
visible/available it might as well not be on the server.

This split between "owned" and "non-owned" gps data would also help when
mapping locations where the layout changes with time.

Andy Robinson