[Openstreetmap] Re: Coders needed for similar project & UK FOIactrequest update.

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Fri Nov 11 00:23:24 GMT 2005

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> This makes your database a derived work, especially as you say (in your
> earlier e-mail) that "there is no way to tell whether it came from a gps
> unit or you clicked on the map - all that is stored in my database is
> the latitude and longitude".

I may be taking a US-centric view here, and if so I apologize...

My understanding is that facts cannot be copyrighted, and databases as
well to some extent.  It seems that a database like this one must be the
closest possible to raw facts.. simple co-ordinates, and possibly, a
statement that there is a road/line between some set of two
co-ordinates".  How can these simple facts be copyrightable!?

--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.