[Openstreetmap] Where can I get old street maps?

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Wed Nov 30 12:59:41 GMT 2005

On 30/11/2005, "Andy Robinson" <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>I have other historical maps but that's another discussion. You would also
>be surprised what your local library generally holds. You can also get a lot
>of detail from other library sources, electrol roll data for info.

Watching "The Blitz" on telly the other night, I wondered if there was
some record of what buildings got bombed and the like.

Turns out there are a bunch of maps in the National Archives:
http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART28781.html

This would be fantastic information to have digitized.  For example,
around the corner from my house there's a break in the Georgian
terraces filled by a horrible red-brick building.  I wonder whether this
was bombed during the war, or it was some town planning brain fart?

So how would you get hold of these maps, and would they be out of
copyright (1943-5)?