[Openstreetmap] Re: Where can I get old street maps?

Wed Nov 30 13:14:39 GMT 2005

Quoting Peter Knowles <peter at peterknowles.com>:

> Thanks for the clarification on the copyright expiration. I'm looking for
> maps of Aylesbury in particular, but Buckinghamshire in general.

Andy has beaten me to it on pointing out Alan Godfrey maps:
http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/aylesbury.htm

As per previous discussions, my reading of current copyright law would be that
such a facsimile publication is copyrighted as a photograph, so the information
itself is still out of copyright... which means you could use this to find
street names. It would be worth approaching Alan Godfrey Maps, though (they
have a good reputation).

abebooks.com is often the best place to find old maps. This one might be of use:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=598158522

Some Ordnance Survey quarter-inch maps, published either side of WWII. included
a little booklet of street plans. (Unfortunately, all of mine for England &
Wales are bereft of their booklets.)

Richard