[Openstreetmap] Re: Where can I get old street maps?

Peter Knowles peter at peterknowles.com
Wed Nov 30 15:20:52 GMT 2005

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

If I can just summarise, possible options are:

1) Local council archives office (for old paper OS maps). Hopefully should
be able to photocopy anything old enough.

2) Libraries. Should be able to photocopy here as well.

3) Buying maps from Alan Godfrey Maps. Recent reproductions of older maps
which should be out of copyright.

4) Finding old maps from online bookdealers (e.g. AbeBooks). These would
be actual old maps, not reproductions?

I'm not certain about the issue of recent reproductions of old maps. What
is the situation with this? The copyright on the original map information
has lapsed, but the reprint is still protected? For example, If I purchase
one of the reprints, and it contains a deliberate spelling mistake in a
streetname (which the original non-copyright map didn't contain), and I
introduce this into my OSM map, I could be liable for infringement?

If this is the case, then the reprints cannot be used this purpose (unless
you could guarantee that the reprint is a faithful copy of the original -
with no extra 'Lye Close' kind of nastiness added in).

Can someone better versed in the intricacies of English copyright please
help clarify?

Thanks,
Peter