[Openstreetmap] London locations

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 18:50:10 BST 2005

>(Not that it's worth anything, but my own values say that it _should_ be,
>because there is no artistic/creative merit in the representation of the
>features on an aerial photograph. To take a similar example, I don't claim
any
>copyright in the geographic information contained within my scans - or
>"photographs" - of out-of-copyright OS maps.)

While we're on out-of-copyright maps, am I safe copying stuff from a 1945
OS map?  (I have a 1945 map of the Southampton area) Could I put data
copied from a 1945 OS map (e.g. names of features in the New Forest) under
a Creative Commons licence? Just want to double-check it; I believe it's 50
years (i.e 1945 is easily safe...)

Nick