[Openstreetmap] GPS track oddities

nick at hogweed.org nick at hogweed.org
Fri Oct 14 22:53:40 BST 2005

> I'm pretty sure the dark line on the Landsat data that's parallel to the
> track but above it is the main road that the track is part of; while the
> resolution of the Landsat data is low I can't think what else such a
> dark line would be in this area.

I have found the Landsat grabbed from osm-editor to be reasonably accurate (to
within about the width of a dual carriageway); any divergences appear to be
down to the GPS losing its signal rather than anything else. About 6 months
ago (see list archives circa April) I got some funny results but they
mysteriously disappeared just like that, so it looks like the Landsat server
was reconfigured...

e.g. on
http://www.free-map.org.uk/snapshot8.png
the coast path follows the coast quite nicely, and Hamble Station is at its
correct location at the intersection of the road and railway.

Nick