[Openstreetmap] How to be more efficient inserting tracks?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Oct 25 10:33:21 BST 2005

Johnny Doe <uucp1 at yahoo.com>@vr.ucl.ac.uk on 25/10/2005 00:49:09

>If you delete the last (or the only) point in a
>trackseg, the program crashes. If one trackseg is
>empty, osm-editor
>crashes on loading the gpx file.

OK thanks. I think someone may have mentioned one of these bugs before.
Should be easily fixed.

>While we are at it, there are two other usability
>concerns with osm-editor:
>1. There is no way to rescale the canvas to the
>track bounding box, which results in searching for
>it through the whole world.

OK, that's easily done.

>2. it casts the utf-8 strings to char *. Looks
>unpleasant when you leave the UK :)

The cURL library (used for communication) uses char *, not sure what the
solution to this is. Find a communications library which supports Unicode?

>Maybe it is possible to adapt the gpx plugin
>in qgis http://qgis.org to write out the
>OSM-compatible gpx ? This will provide a fullscale GIS
>environment to openstreetmap, although i like the
>lightweight nature of osm-editor.

The lightweight nature is deliberate :-) Also when writing osm-editor there
was a specific requirement I had (particularly important in surveying
countryside paths) for dividing up the track into particular types of
segment e.g. path, bridleway, cycle path etc, and no existing software
seemed tailored to that particular requirement. However it would obviously
be a good idea to have as many OSM clients as possible so adapting existing
packages (in addition to osm-editor, JOSM, the applet....) seems a good
plan.

Nick