[Openstreetmap] a wishlist for the weekend

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Fri Sep 9 21:39:42 BST 2005

So far, I've been editing entirely using the applet, and web pages, and
here's my list of frustrations that really slow me down:

viewMap.jsp really could make the tile image a clickable imagemap -
clicking could zoom in and centered on the clicked point (though I guess
that may break the caching on the tile server, since you're less likely
to center the map where others have been before). It could at least
center on the map quadrant you clicked in, and zoom on that.

When editing with the applet, you really need to be zoomed way in. This
is good for accuracy, but I find myself needing the ability to pan up,
down, left or right, and to do that I need to click back in the browser,
navigate with the arrows and then click on "edit this map" again.
Likewise for zooming in and out.

The already reported unreadably small text bug in the applet. Not only
is the text unreadable, but you don't been to be able to delete mistakes.

In the applet, it would be really nice if the line tool could "snap" to
the nearest node, rather than having to be nearly pixel perfect before
the node lights up red.

That said, in the past week, I've managed to scrawl quite a lot of
streets all over North London, using just the applet. Guess I should
really see about getting osm-editor compiled and running (has anyone
else got it working under FreeBSD?)

--
Simon Hewison