[Openstreetmap] a wishlist for the weekend

SteveC steve at fractalus.com
Fri Sep 9 22:28:41 BST 2005

* @ 09/09/05 09:39:42 PM simon at zymurgy.org wrote:
> So far, I've been editing entirely using the applet, and web pages, and
> here's my list of frustrations that really slow me down:
>
> viewMap.jsp really could make the tile image a clickable imagemap -
> clicking could zoom in and centered on the clicked point (though I guess
> that may break the caching on the tile server, since you're less likely
> to center the map where others have been before). It could at least
> center on the map quadrant you clicked in, and zoom on that.

Sod that. I have a google maps alike interface almost done to replace it
all. That better?

> When editing with the applet, you really need to be zoomed way in. This
> is good for accuracy, but I find myself needing the ability to pan up,
> down, left or right, and to do that I need to click back in the browser,
> navigate with the arrows and then click on "edit this map" again.
> Likewise for zooming in and out.

There are quick and slow fixes for this, but basically I havn't even
looked at the code - its Toms stuff. He's going to be away for a bit and
its something I will look at. Similarly for your points below.

> The already reported unreadably small text bug in the applet. Not only
> is the text unreadable, but you don't been to be able to delete mistakes.
>
> In the applet, it would be really nice if the line tool could "snap" to
> the nearest node, rather than having to be nearly pixel perfect before
> the node lights up red.
>
> That said, in the past week, I've managed to scrawl quite a lot of
> streets all over North London, using just the applet. Guess I should
> really see about getting osm-editor compiled and running (has anyone
> else got it working under FreeBSD?)

Do you code? Want a svn account?

have fun,

SteveC steve at fractalus.com http://www.fractalus.com/steve/