[OSM-talk] postcode idea

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Sat Apr 1 13:10:08 BST 2006

Oh, you're among friends! Steve did this: http://www.freethepostcode.net

> So here's a legal conundrum: if you let people submit their postcode
> and location you couldn't be sure they hadn't just looked it up on
> e.g. streetmap.co.uk. Now, if you had a licensed copy of the postcode
> data you could use it to reject any points from the submitted data
> that exactly coincided with the official data. Would that still be an
> abuse of the license? :)

Freethepostcode keeps track of who submitted what, so in the event
that infringing data is found, then all the data from that person can
be thrown out without ruining the whole thing.  I think that the
ability to do this, along with the "submission form as declaration"
model of data gathering, means that it's fairly safe.

Best,

Tom.