[OSM-talk] ANNOUNCE: OSMF

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Apr 1 17:52:47 BST 2006

Of course I'll vote with Colin here, however I don't yet feel as if I am a
second class citizen. On the contrary, by speaking up I hope I ensure that
the makeup of any OSM organisation is both democratic and sensible.

It is not for any individual to say what the format of the organisation is
or who has what stake or otherwise, well that is assuming Steve is happy to
let it out from his own grasp. I'm confident he is, as it has to have a
managed future and he I am sure will be the first to acknowledge that he,
and we, want the project to succeed on a wider scale.

I also don't like to read the sort of emails that try to make a split
between different groups, coders or data gatherers or whatever. The point is
that in reality only a few people will be happy to devote their time and
energies to organisation. The sorts of roles I talked about for my swimming
club are the same in any volunteer type organisation, it's just the names
that change. Regardless, a set of perhaps 10 or so individuals need to be
happy to take on responsibilities and nobody should be narrow minded enough
to think they can all come from any particular "group". The reality is they
will come out of the woodwork, and many may not be either coders or data
gatherers, they might just be willing volunteers. If you want a say, you get
a voice as a member. If you want to change something, you have to be part of
the actual management structure. Simple as that.

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk