[OSM-talk] OSM web forums?

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 16:11:29 BST 2006

On 4/4/06, Jim Ley <jim at jibbering.com> wrote:

> "Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> >And then get rid of the browser sniffing thing in pngfix.js.
>
> It would actually be a lot better to get rid of pngfix entirely, relying on
> behavior's for functionality is a very bad idea, particularly for something
> which is not relevant for IE7

Firstly, pngfix doesn't rely on behaviors.  That's a different way of
fixing PNGs.

Secondly, I assume IE7 will continue to support IE-only conditional
comments, and the "if IE" could easily be modified to only use
pngfix.js if the version is appropriate.

IE7 isn't going to make browser compatibility hacks go away, and if we
know how to support IE6 users, why shouldn't we?  [1]

> and gives no noticeable problem if you have
> behavior's disabled, the site is completely usable - although the zoom could
> really be gif's there's no point having them as png's requiring png alpha.

Agreed that the zoom buttons could be gifs.  At one point though we
did layer compositing on the client side, and PNGs were clearly useful
for this.  We should keep the option open to do that again.

Tom.

1.  Those who think we should be encouraging people to switch, there's
already a Google/Firefox button on the site for IE users.  Personally
I think it's patronising, and I also don't like the fact that it's yet
another Google Toolbar bundling product, but never mind.  I have to
use IE at work for our intranet, and I don't find it worth swapping
and changing to FF for everything else just to use tabs.  At home, I
made an informed choice and carried on using IE for quite some time,
though I do use FF now. </rant>