[OSM-talk] OSM web forums?

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Tue Apr 4 16:31:30 BST 2006

Hi,

>> and gives no noticeable problem if you have behavior's disabled, the site
>> is completely usable - although the zoom could really be gif's there's no
>> point having them as png's requiring png alpha.
>
> Agreed that the zoom buttons could be gifs.  At one point though we
> did layer compositing on the client side, and PNGs were clearly useful
> for this.  We should keep the option open to do that again.

Real question: Why is it better to have gif than png? I quick-tested their
performance with java and found png's to use fewer memory footprint and
were quicker than gifs (of course, if you don't use alpha blending but
stick to binary alpha)

Are the implementations for png in browsers that bad (compared to ImageIO
lib in Java) ?

> 1.  Those who think we should be encouraging people to switch, there's
> already a Google/Firefox button on the site for IE users.  Personally
> I think it's patronising, and I also don't like the fact that it's yet
> another Google Toolbar bundling product, but never mind.  I have to
> use IE at work for our intranet, and I don't find it worth swapping
> and changing to FF for everything else just to use tabs.  At home, I
> made an informed choice and carried on using IE for quite some time,
> though I do use FF now. </rant>

FATAL ERROR! Missing start tag <rant>. Giving up.
Segmention fault
$ _

;---)

Ciao, Imi.