[OSM-talk] OSM web forums?

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Apr 4 16:52:25 BST 2006

* @ 04/04/06 03:26:36 PM jim at jibbering.com wrote:

> "Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:16e8cf860604040811j16a4c242l79c05732b090ec46 at mail.gmail.com...

> >> It would actually be a lot better to get rid of pngfix entirely, relying
> >> on
> >> behavior's for functionality is a very bad idea, particularly for
> >> something
> >> which is not relevant for IE7
> >
> >Firstly, pngfix doesn't rely on behaviors.  That's a different way of
> >fixing PNGs.
>
> Sorry, filters themselves are just as optionally supported in IE, so the
> point is equivalent.
>
> >IE7 isn't going to make browser compatibility hacks go away, and if we
> >know how to support IE6 users, why shouldn't we?  [1]
>
> Because you can support it without complicating matters, the very fact that
> those of who use IE are getting script errors shows the problem of using
> scripts, the onload change the document behaviour harms rendering, it's much
> better for things to degrade gracefully than continually adding more hacks
> and more scripts for more and more situations - kill the script and no-one
> is harmed at all, with the script people are getting errors.

The root cause of all this is that I don't have a usable windows machine
to test on. If someone emails me a patch to clean up any IE errors (I
have no idea what the site looks like in IE) I'll happily apply it - but
I don't want to get in the middle of a war about the right way to fix
IE, I'm not qualified :-)

Tom mentioned the trace icons / pictures arn't pretty in IE, if this
could be fixed too...

have fun,