[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Apr 6 12:08:32 BST 2006

On 4/6/06, Andy Robinson <Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Yeah, this would only be for the first vote. Once the Officers are elected
> they would sort the constitution out and one aspect will be the terms of
> membership.

All sounds good, with one or two minor concerns, again regarding
criteria for membership.

Requiring a certain number of segments (or worse, a certain number of
mailing list posts or wiki entries) isn't going to work.  How many
segments does it take to write "HA HA YOU SUCK" in 12km high letters
in the middle of the Pacific, and how long would it take us to notice?

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with "anyone who wants to be a member
can be"? I also think it should be free, but that any membership
sign-up should make it very easy to donate (ie some level of donation
is the default, but a donation of 0 is allowed).  There are many other
ways to contribute, and just by showing an interest people are
contributing.

Well done to those who fleshed all this stuff out, it looks like it
was a reasonably productive meeting.

Tom.

PS Why does Bill Hicks on gays in the military come to mind?

"Gays in the military ... here's how I feel about it, alright? Anyone
... DUMB enough ... to want to be in the military, should be allowed
in. End of fucking story. That should be the only requirement."

"Membership of OpenStreetMap ... here's how I feel about it, alright?
Anyone ... DUMB enough ... to want to map the world using GPS tracks
and java applets, should be allowed to be a member. End of fucking
story. That should be the only requirement."

PPS I'd like to be a member please ;)