[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Jim Ley jim at jibbering.com
Fri Apr 7 09:34:20 BST 2006

"Immanuel Scholz" <immanuel.scholz at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:8835.80.246.32.40.1144396342.squirrel at www.eigenheimstrasse.de...
> Hi,
>
>> What stops someone from creating a key and signing it for a nonexistant
>> person?
>
> A signature itself is only worth something if the signer is already
> trusted. So for faking an identity, you have to be a trusted person.

You cannot require only signed people to be members though, that would be an
unreasonable burden on people who've simply not met anyone else, you're
sitting down usefully mapping Southern Sudan, it's hardly fair to make you
pay for someone else in the trust network to visit you simply so they can
check you really exist and join.

Two identities are also relatively easy to generate, if I turn up to the IoW
as Fred Bloggs, none of you know will know I'm also Jim Ley, until someone
who only knows the Fred Bloggs identity gets introduced to me as Jim Ley.

Jim.