[OSM-talk] Swedish maps that lye...

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Fri Apr 7 14:48:40 BST 2006

On Friday 07 Apr 2006 13:45, Etienne Cherdlu wrote:
> Not really related, but the BBC had a story a couple of days ago about
> a "crackpot" GPS navigation system:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/north_yorkshire/4879026.stm

I was going to bring this up actually, but to suggest, now that we have tags,
we start tagging ways that we know not to be good as a general thoroughfare,
so that if someone ever makes a route finding system using OSM data, it will
be able to avoid these (often quite literal) pitfalls.

What would be the best way to do this? Simply adding a 'route = false' tag to
the ways? Or maybe it should be finer grained that just boolean, seeing as
sometimes going along the bad road is the best routing decision. Should there
be a scoring system from one to ten to indicate the way's suitability as a
thoroughfare?

robert.