[OSM-talk] Summary of the irc meeting.

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Apr 8 19:38:52 BST 2006

Etienne Cherdlu wrote:

> The only way this is going to be a great project is to have a very
> inclusive membership.  We need as many members as possible.

I don't agree.  If we wanted that, we could have zero fee and send
a free gift to all who join.  But what would that be worth to us?
Some clubs that have a zero fee have 5000 members, but what does
that mean when the chairman claims to speak for 5000 members?
Does that mean 100 people with 5000 Hotmail addresses?

An annual membership fee (or a requirement on recent
contributions) serves the function of removing air bubbles from
the reported number of members.

I agree that passports and GPG signatures are overkill, but we
should have some simple way to assure that nobody is voting twice.
A small annual membership fee, e.g. 10 UK pounds, will remove most
of the fun from dual memberships.  However, I think we still need
to say in the bylaws/constitution that dual membership is
forbidden, so that we can exclude people who are caught with
trying.

Any requirement on non-monetary contributions also needs to be
recent contributions, e.g. within the 12 months before the annual
general meeting.  And you would also have to require that no
duplicate data can be uploaded or contributed.  Just logging in
and moving 100 line segments cannot qualify for a vote.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)