[OSM-talk] Prototype OSM renderer showing road types, place names and contours

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 10:23:28 BST 2006

On 4/11/06, nick at hogweed.org <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:

> http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/index.php
>
> and at the moment covers the whole of the UK.
>
> The places which show up the best at the moment (from where I've looked so
> far, anyhow) are Southampton, Weybridge, the area of north London at the
> southern end of the M1 and (for countryside data) the New Forest and
> Petersfield/Haslemere area.
>
> Note that it's highly imperfect at the moment (in particular, street names are
> not shown).

Hi Nick - good progress!  Contours especially are a nice addition.

I have a couple of suggestions about colours though.  The black text
is getting lost because of the black casing on the lines.  Using a mid
to dark grey (or better, a darker version of the road colour) for the
casing would improve that I think.

This one's just my own opinion, but grey is a bit sombre for the
background, no?  How about white or a light yellow as Richard
suggested for the SVG maps?

Best,

Tom.

PS I get a JS error in IE which I'd be happy to take a look at if you
don't have it handy.