[OSM-talk] Prototype OSM renderer showing road types, place names and contours

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Tue Apr 11 11:27:20 BST 2006

On 4/11/06, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Nick
> >This looks really good.  As Andy says is there any possibilty of user
> >defined colouring?  Maybe you could use the same rule files that drive
> >Osmarender somehow?
>
> Etienne,
>
> I was thinking along those lines, though as the map is generated server
> side the rule files would have to be stored on the server. One possibility
> is a set of pre-defined rule files for commonly-used styles, then have a
> web interface to allow the user to select their own custom scheme.

A pull down list of available rule files would do the job.  Eventually
you could provide a way for users to upload their own rule files.

The structure of the rule files are essentially pretty simple.  There
is a <rule> element that has k and v attributes.  For each rule there
is then some drawing instructions which say whether to draw a line or
a circle etc.  These in turn reference a CSS element which defines the
colour and size etc.

Etienne

> >It would be nice if the map area was much much much bigger - its only
> >actually using 15% of my screen: (400*300)/(1024*768)*100=15.25%.
>
> Will do. The 400x300 is because the code is derived from Freemap and
> Freemap uses that size; the rest of the screen space is needed for the
> Freemap controls though these are not needed here.
>
> Nick

Etienne
(Forgot to reply to the list again)