[OSM-talk] Not your mother's Google Earth...

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 12 18:48:20 BST 2006

I hacked up a quick textured planet thing in Processing and plotted
planet.osm onto it.  For those of us who miss being able to see the
state of the nations in the slippy maps interface.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Osm-planet-1.jpg
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Osm-planet-2.jpg

I might attempt some processing of the lines to make it render at
interactive rates eventually, but for now I just turn off line drawing
whilst panning around so it's not that impressive.  I'll bring it to
IoW for those who want to see it running anyway.

Conclusion: converting to KML and viewing in Google Earth might have
been easier or quicker.

Best,

Tom.