[OSM-talk] Not your mother's Google Earth...

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Apr 14 00:15:58 BST 2006

On 4/12/06, Tom Carden <tom at tom-carden.co.uk> wrote:
> I hacked up a quick textured planet thing in Processing and plotted
> planet.osm onto it.  For those of us who miss being able to see the
> state of the nations in the slippy maps interface.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Osm-planet-1.jpg
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Osm-planet-2.jpg
>
> I might attempt some processing of the lines to make it render at
> interactive rates eventually, but for now I just turn off line drawing
> whilst panning around so it's not that impressive.  I'll bring it to
> IoW for those who want to see it running anyway.

Looks good, Tom. Is the OSM layer generated as a one off and then
displayed many times, or is it generated each time you move the map?

> Conclusion: converting to KML and viewing in Google Earth might have
> been easier or quicker.

I was thinking of making a Google Earth/KML feed of the data, but I
think it would be pretty intensive connectionwise as it would either
have to generate itself as a whole in the client, or let you specify
the bounding coordinates.

If one was to view the whole world (whilst limiting only to those
parts in view) it would be 40Mb in size - at least - to view half the
world. It'd make sense to use the bounding box to select which
nodes/segments you wanted to view, and only show areas that'd be small
enough to be practical for downloading the data and viewing it with
little delay. But then we'd be limiting ourselves to the same sort of
level as the OSM applet currently does. It'd be nice to have the
overview of the world again, even if it didn't show the latest version
of the dataset.

Perhaps a static monthly .png rendering of segments at all the levels
higher than we would want to serve vector data for? Would this method
also work for the applet - so you don't see a blank earth when you
look at the site for the first time?

Cheers,
Dan

--