[OSM-talk] Statistics on planet.osm.gz

Immanuel Scholz immanuel.scholz at gmx.de
Thu Apr 13 09:27:07 BST 2006

>> Until now, only static analysis has been done on the planet.osm. I'd
>> like to see some on-demand statistic generation. This would justify the
>> creation of a monthly snapshot (or delta) much more ;-).
>
> I didn't do these statistics on the real server since I think it already
> has way too much load. But on the other hand I think a snapshot every week
> would be great. This way I'd post these stats every week. What do you
> think about this?

Posting the stuff does not make you able to click on it. Posting creates
work every week (for you). Posting stuff stop other people from developing
and fine tune the scripts. Posting spams the mailing list for those
uninterested. And worst: Other people will not be able to run this scripts
on their own server.

I don't say the scripts should be executed on every click on them. The
results can be cached. And of course, the scripts should *not* run on the
main server!

Ciao, Imi.