[OSM-talk] Statistics on planet.osm.gz

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Thu Apr 13 10:00:24 BST 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 10:27, Immanuel Scholz wrote:

> >> Until now, only static analysis has been done on the planet.osm. I'd
> >> like to see some on-demand statistic generation. This would justify the
> >> creation of a monthly snapshot (or delta) much more ;-).
> >
> > I didn't do these statistics on the real server since I think it already
> > has way too much load. But on the other hand I think a snapshot every
> > week would be great. This way I'd post these stats every week. What do
> > you think about this?
>
> Posting the stuff does not make you able to click on it. Posting creates
> work every week (for you). Posting stuff stop other people from developing
> and fine tune the scripts. Posting spams the mailing list for those
> uninterested. And worst: Other people will not be able to run this scripts
> on their own server.
>
> I don't say the scripts should be executed on every click on them. The
> results can be cached. And of course, the scripts should *not* run on the
> main server!

This is almost the same as I want to. I wanted to run them every time a new
planet.osm.gz comes out. I can run these with a cronjob. So it wouldn't be
too much time to use. I then plan to create static html pages where you can
see and click the problematic sections.
The scripts can be found in the gpsdrive distribution; and I'll try to isolate
the osm_check stuff into an extra programm, so everyone can use it on there
own copy of planet.osm.gz. We can add it to svn too as soon as they work
independent from the gpsdrive stuff.

What do you think about this?

-

Joerg