[OSM-talk] Classification of ways. (was: Statistics on planet.osm.gz)

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Thu Apr 13 16:20:52 BST 2006

On 4/13/06, Robert Scott <lists at riscott.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> Just yesterday I was working on this area (see attachment) of terraced
> housing. Rosamond Road creates a schism in the N-S roads. Dudley Street
> continues both north and south of Rosamond Road, however to traverse Dudley
> Street you have to travel along a small section of Rosamond Road. Which of
> course is not part of Dudley Street.
>
> Though I would argue that Dudley Street is still one 'way'.

Sure, and that's something that's difficult to express if you define
way as I am suggesting.  On the other hand, if ways are enforced as
connected it makes drawing street names easier and it makes future
routing applications easier.

In situations like the one you describe I don't think we lose anything
by having one "street" represented by two separate "ways".  There are
other methods we could use to semantically link them again, for
example they might share the same postcode.

Alternatively the whole thing could be defined as Dudley Street, with
the Rosamond Road segment tagged as an exception to the way.

Best,

Tom.