[OSM-talk] (Easter?) TIGER Import

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 17:52:23 BST 2006

> As of ten minutes ago, the TIGER -> OSM import is kicked off and
> running.

Sweet!

> I've included a lazy three second sleep between each street.  Someone
> better at this sort of thing might calculate that the TIGER import will
> thus be finished with Alaska by 2017.  If so, than I'll restart the

I can help by asking how many streets in Tiger? ;)

Have no real idea what this number might be. Say there's 1 US street for every 100 people, so about 3 million streets. At 3 second per street, it's just over 100 days .. which actually pretty reasonable .. though completely unreliable ;)

> And more interestingly, the demon's log is updated twice-an-hour at:
>
>    http://somethingmodern.com/tiger_import/progress.log

Would be nice if there was a higher level view, say a list of counties with percentage completed.
I know, don't look a gift horse in the mouth!