[OSM-talk] OSM map renderer - update

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Wed Apr 19 11:26:33 BST 2006

On 4/19/06, nick at hogweed.org <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:

> One or two updates on the OSM map renderer:

Still looking good Nick, well done.

<snip>
> - Look and feel determined by a rules file, similar in concept to Etienne's
> approach. The idea is that users will be able to create and upload their own
> personalised rule files to display maps the way they want. The current
> default rules file can be found at
>
> http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/freemap.xml

Any particular reason you didn't use exactly the same format as
Etienne?  (Not that I think you should have, I'm just wondering)

<snip>
> Another problem is when two consecutive segments in a street have a tight
> angle (say 120 degrees or less) to each other. At detailed scales, the
> segments look non-contiguous. I'll look at the applet code to see how this
> has been dealt with there.

You want round caps on your lines, I think.

> Might also be worth looking at ImageMagick rather
> than GD as it seems better able to deal with this (not to mention
> anti-aliasing)

I thought GD did antialiasing now?  Or is that only on 1px lines?

Possibly worth looking to see if there are PHP bindings for the Anti
Grain Geometry library - I hear good things about it and the output is
lovely.  (It also works with SVG so we could keep output consistent
across all branches of the project).

Tom.