[OSM-talk] OSM map renderer - update

Wed Apr 19 11:49:56 BST 2006

Tom wrote:

> On 4/19/06, nick at hogweed.org <nick at hogweed.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Another problem is when two consecutive segments in a street have a tight
>> angle (say 120 degrees or less) to each other. At detailed scales, the
>> segments look non-contiguous. I'll look at the applet code to see how this
>> has been dealt with there.
>
> You want round caps on your lines, I think.

Round caps are a good solution for the issue under discussion here, but
it does
remind me... please, folks, don't use round caps for the ends of cul-de-sacs.

Round caps at the ends of cul-de-sacs are a cartographic 'innovation'
popularised by Google Maps. No-one else uses them, and with good reason. Not
only do they not look like maps should (yes, I know, very subjective), they
tend to imply junctions that aren't there at smaller scales.

For an example, here's where I live:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=OX7+3RD&om=1

If you zoom out a couple of times, you'll see that a junction is
implied between
Nine Acres Close and Banbury Hill. But as the larger scale maps show,
there's no
junction there. This is because the round line cap is 'extending' the road
beyond its true length.

Richard