[OSM-talk] svg output

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 11:23:15 BST 2006

On 4/20/06, Etienne Cherdlu <openstreetmap-L at gj0.net> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Nice to know that everyone is thinking of the same. ;-)
> >
> > Xalan: 2.66 s
> > Batik: 8.76 s
> >
> > To render southern parts of Stockholm about, 1300 nodes and 1400 segments.

> The time taken by Osmarender is roughly proportional to (number of
> rules * number of elements matching the rule).  The resulting svg file
> will also be proportional to this, as each  rule+element will produced
> some svg.
>
> Try a much slimmer rules file (remove abutters, casings, street names, etc).

Well Batik is the problem anyway so I won't bother ATM. You want all
of these things in case someone decides to add them. The problem with
running batik as a map render script is that you can't download the
rules and style sheets from the wiki in any easy way.

If we want a distributed renderer I don't think 10s is that bad, I
takes more or less 10s to fetch a map url form the server.

--
/Erik