[OSM-talk] svg output

Etienne Cherdlu openstreetmap-L at gj0.net
Thu Apr 20 10:51:53 BST 2006

On 4/20/06, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/20/06, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:
> > * @ 19/04/06 05:42:04 PM openstreetmap-L at gj0.net wrote:
> > > The Batik rasterizer tool will convert .svg files to .png.
> > >
> > > I've tried it on the output from Osmarender and it appears to handle
> > > textPaths and everything else that is in an Osmarender generated .svg
> > > file.
> >
> > It requires X. Sigh.
> >
> > Made a quick wms server for osm -> svg -> png. Too slow to talk about.
> >

> Nice to know that everyone is thinking of the same. ;-)
>
> Xalan: 2.66 s
> Batik: 8.76 s
>
> To render southern parts of Stockholm about, 1300 nodes and 1400 segments.
>
>  $ \time java -cp xalan.jar org.apache.xalan.xslt.Process -in
> osm-map-features.xml -out AA.svg;
> $ \time java -jar  ../Distributed-renderer/batik-1.6/batik-rasterizer.jar AA.svg

The time taken by Osmarender is roughly proportional to (number of
rules * number of elements matching the rule).  The resulting svg file
will also be proportional to this, as each  rule+element will produced
some svg.

Try a much slimmer rules file (remove abutters, casings, street names, etc).

--
Etienne