[OSM-talk] Segments with 0m Distance

Joerg Ostertag openstreetmap at ostertag.name
Sun Apr 23 17:54:36 BST 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 00:13, Jim Ley wrote:
> "Tom Carden" <tom at tom-carden.co.uk>
>
> On 4/16/06, Jim Ley <jim at jibbering.com> wrote:
> >> There's one place near me which is a one way street for 0 distance -
> >> well it's not a one way street, there's just a no entry sign preventing
> >> access when travelling in one direction, it's 2 way traffic everywhere.

But if the segment has length 0 how do you determine from which side you are
not allowed to enter?

> >Still - I'm not convinced as to why this shouldn't just be a tag on
> >the node at the no entry end... perhaps a noentry key with a segment
> >id?

If this is a possible way I would prefer it as a way with tag telling that
it's "really difficult" or "not allowed" to go/walk/drive in this direction.

> I think the routing people need to decide on that one - I'd just been
> imagining them preferring not to have to spend too much time checking the
> tags on every single node?
>
> No-Entry is also problematical in that it's often typed - there are lots of
> roads which are 2 way on bikes but 1 way by car - and cycle routing is
> something I'd love to see - it's not met anywhere currently.
>
> Anyway I certainly don't know what's best!

If you want to have different one_way tags for Bike and Car Lanes you'll have
to add these tags to the way. And have 1 way for each lane.
That sounds like how I'd like to see the  data if I'd have to do routing.

-
Joerg