[OSM-talk] IoW and Mapchester - Visualisation Toolkits

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Mon Apr 24 15:37:05 BST 2006

As I get myself up to speed with the tasks ahead, I was wondering how
much useful stuff people already have lying around... things I've not
really considered in an OpenStreetMap context before, but now they
will scratch an itch...

Coastlines and waterways are obviously lacking in OSM. In particular,
I could use an IoW coastline right now for t-shirt design purposes.

Is there nice open source software for producing shaded contours?
What about in a vector format?  Are we in a position to enhance that
data with extra spot readings for certain peaks and ridges?

What other metadata should we be aware of?  Can we get the population
of towns/regions for better labelling?

What else isn't kept in the OSM database, but will be needed to make a
complete map?

Best,

Tom.