[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Apr 24 22:19:37 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:05:24PM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> > There's some weird projection issues, but I think those are Google Maps
> > related more than anything else.
>
> It's really a cool thing, looks beautiful as well, is it fast?
>
> > OSM's api and WMS proved completely useless, and caused endless amounts
> > of frustration due to slowness and lack of documentation.
>
> Ok, what is it that you need documented, the wms URLs that are
> available and the format of the OSM xml format?
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/WMS

Linking to the page where I documented the things I couldn't find isn't
very conducive to proving that the WMS is well documented ;)

The WMS for roads is not usable by anything other than tiling
mapservers. I understand performance limitations, but the fact that I
was more easily able to take an XML dump, load it into a PostGIS
database, and display segments that way myself, than I was to use
anything that OSM provides an interface for, does not say a lot on the
ability for others to use the WMS Output.

The link that Steve put in the wiki originally does not have the ability
to display streets.

The problem that I was running into, specifically, is the fact that the
extent limitations, as described in my edit last night, are not
documented anywhere other than in the code -- and even that wasn't
linked from the WMS page until last night.

So I spent 3 hours trying to manually generate *some* URI that would
include the streets in it -- and failing.

It was an extremely frustrating experience, when a simple mention in the
WMS page (as there is now) would have saved me hours of headache.

--
Christopher Schmidt
Web Developer