[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 10:16:38 BST 2006

>> Perhaps I'm confused, but wouldn't it be possible to move the
planet.osm
>> data to another server, run a WMS in front of it, and export that for
>> people? It would make it so easy to get visuals of the OSM data --
>> something that is damn hard with the current setup.

>This sounds like a good idea. Not all applications need the latest data,
>and if we know that it will not change for a month then a lot more
>caching can go on.

This is kind of what I'm already doing with the prototype new renderer on
the dev server at http://nick.dev.openstreetmap.org/index.php. I took the
planet.osm and put it in my own database (same structure as OSM). Maybe
this could be used?

Because parsing the planet.osm was a rather slow job it only contains an
area approximating to the UK and France at the moment, but will contain
the whole lot in due course.

Nick