[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

David Sheldon dave at earth.li
Tue Apr 25 09:23:46 BST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 05:57:44PM -0400, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:44:09PM +0200, Erik Johansson wrote:
> > I feel your pain in this issue, there are some other applications of
> > the WMS server that are no longer usable because of this limit.
>
> Perhaps I'm confused, but wouldn't it be possible to move the planet.osm
> data to another server, run a WMS in front of it, and export that for
> people? It would make it so easy to get visuals of the OSM data --
> something that is damn hard with the current setup.

This sounds like a good idea. Not all applications need the latest data,
and if we know that it will not change for a month then a lot more
caching can go on. Maybe this is something that some of the new hardware
could support, actually as it doesn't really need to be co-located with
the rest of the site maybe someone else could run such a server. It
would allow those few people that the licence allows to make mashups a
faster server to work with, and so encourage them.

David
--
                         Top 100 host names:
               Number eight: holy.trinity.ox.ac.uk