[OSM-talk] OGL, OSM, NASA

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 10:29:39 BST 2006

On 4/24/06, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at crschmidt.net> wrote:
> Open Guide to London [1] data and planet.osm dump loaded into postgis,
> set up alongside Google Maps (for a slippy interface) and served using
> mapserver:
>
> http://crschmidt.net/mapping/ogl/sidebyside
>
> There's some weird projection issues, but I think those are Google Maps
> related more than anything else.

Google Maps uses Mercator as far as I'm aware (as do Yahoo Maps and
Virtual Earth).  OSM does too.  There's a successful demo showing OSM
layered on top of Google Maps somewhere... can you show us a screen
shot of the issues you're talking about?  Looks OK to me.

> OSM's api and WMS proved completely useless, and caused endless amounts
> of frustration due to slowness and lack of documentation.

The WMS documentation was out of date, true.  The REST API is pretty
well documented though.  The WMS page on the wiki specifically says
"bug the mailing list for more information".  I didn't see any
messages about WMS recently - do you expect documentation to magically
appear as soon as you need it?

> I feel like it
> must be possible to improve things beyond their current state so more
> people can do neat stuff like this.

True.  See the never ending threads about hardware and hosting - which
are still yet to be resolved.  Hosting is pending, and the new
hardware we have needs hosting.  So soon there will be more
flexibility in the set-up... I imagine if enough people are interested
in it then the chains could be taken off the WMS, or we could provide
a static WMS based off the monthly DB dump as someone suggested.

> Even just providing a mysql database
> dump would have saved me valuable time, and allowed me to build on
> existing work in the OSM project.

Planet.osm is new this month.  It's likely that in the future it will
come in different formats, but only if people request them.  A mysql
database dump isn't as trivial as it sounds because it includes all
the modifications - there isn't, AFAIK, a table with the 'current'
view of the db - it's built on the fly.  So converting planet.osm is
actually the best way to do it.

> After this work, I'm really frustrated with the external facing OSM
> support

This implies there is internal facing support!

> and I probably won't be doing any more work with it.

Wow.  We're all volunteers and hobbyists here - your attitude sounds
pretty childish to me.  "It sucks now, so I'm going home and I'm
taking my ball with me!"

Thanks for the feedback, and documenting the WMS limits, and for
making a nice thing.  No thanks for the attitude.

Best,

Tom.