[OSM-talk] New contributor query

Tom Carden tom at tom-carden.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 11:20:37 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk> wrote:
> Third less
> important question. Can you find out and contact people that are mapping
> near you to share experiences, ensure dovetailing, etc? I notice that
> Barnet area is deeply detailed. Can I contact the mapper(s) to
> collaborate on joining Barnet to Enfield as we progress?

We've talked before about location based messaging, or being able to
see who is editing near you right now, or having mediawiki style talk
pages for bounding boxes.  There's also at least one Firefox extension
that allows real-time chat between people viewing the same website.
These are all interesting possibilities to consider.

My favourite idea is to have something a bit like FotoNotes, but for maps*.

http://fotonotes.net/

This could probably be enabled using GeoRSS or such-like, and would be
implemented with an optional "show recent messages" button in the
viewer/editor.  Perhaps we could also have 'sticky' messages which
don't expire (as quickly).  Or permanent message threads attached to
nodes/lines.  Thoughts?

Tom.

* Yeah, this is getting predictiable, as I try and turn OSM into Flickr, I know!