[OSM-talk] Google Maps maps most of Europe

Nick Black nickblack1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:26:05 BST 2006

On 4/25/06, Paul Neave <paul.neave at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info guys, that clears a lot up. I have a whole new
> appreciation for OSM now!
>
> > Not really Google maps is still pretty useless for lots of areas where
> OSM
> > does better, e.g.
> >

> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&ll=54.233932,-4.493408&spn=0.47678,0.991516&om=1
>
> Ha ha, well at least we know Douglas is on the Isle of Man somewhere...
>
> Paul.

Refer to Dan's previous posts re the level of mapping in the Isle of Man.
What's even funnier is that I bought my mother and step father (who live in
Douglas, IoM) a Acer Sat-Nav with destinator routing and mapping software
for christmas - totally useless.  There is no road mapping available for the
Isle of Man that I can find at a reasonable cost(well Destinator or
Tom-Tom), and yet there are thousands of people driving around the tiny
roads of the isle of man, as we speak with blue GPS lights flashing on their
dashboards.  Its quality!

So yes - OSM currently have the best and most accessible database of vector
mapping for the Isle of Man.  One small step...

Nick