[OSM-talk] Google Maps maps most of Europe

Raphaël Jacquot sxpert at esitcom.org
Tue Apr 25 14:54:36 BST 2006

Paul Neave wrote:
> As far as competition goes, that's a lot of it:
> http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/2006/04/big-news-google-maps-street-maps-for.html
>
> Also on a similar note, how does Tele Atlas/Navteq gather their street
> map data? Do they use satellite imagery, draw on the map and copy the
> road data into a database or is every single road surveyed in some
> other way?

numerous press articles show that they're doing the exact same thing as
we are doing.

teleatlas even has a camper that is fitted with a large computer array
and high res video camera, and has a machine vision system to
automatically take note of road signs. I'm told it can even read the
signs using OCR

> I'm curious because although OSM is a fantastic initiative, simply
> drawing roads onto a copy of a satellite map seems to be a much
> simpler option that riding round every road on a bike with a GPS ;)

Rand Mc Nally started by hacking a photographic camera on his car, and
photographing each turn from his honeymoon trip from chicago to wherever
they were going ...

If the pros do it, must be the way it has to be done.
after all, the satellite imagery has to be geo-referenced, and that's
done by surveying the exact position of remarkable points on the picture...

there's a market for those 18000 USD Gps receivers sold by trimble and
friends (see http://www.trimble.com/trimbler8gnss.shtml )

> Thanks,
> Paul.

Raphael